Back from 10 wonderful days in beautiful Crete with the family, and what a lovely break it was, lots of bracing swimming, and walking in the nearby gorge.
But to greet me home were the foam blocks that I promised to transform on May 11th, into two garden seats. Not one to disappoint I set to, feeling full of optimism after my 10 days off. If anyone is contemplating this task do not be put off! I was advised to attack these 4 inch thick blocks with the serrated edge of the bread knife, dont do it! Success came with a six inch filleting knife, a nice smooth cut. It reminded me of filleting a very thick fish but instead of scales there were loads of messy foam crumbs, but on the plus side no fishy smell.
I have also decided that it would be a mistake to cover the blocks with the upholstery fabric directly on top, I have used a bed sheet as a liner as the foam clings to everything and it would be impossible to fit the blocks into their covers.
I am picking up my trusty Bernina tomorrow as she has had a break at the repair and servicing shop! Will get these seats finished by Wednesday with any luck, only hope they get used this summer.