Nip and a tuck!

So chuffed with myself for actually doing some dressmaking felt inspired to show it off!  Not much but its a start back on the dressmaking trail.  Should be thinking about Christmas sewing but hey ho, there is nowhere to go just at the mo so making the most!

Hope you like my effort here, sewing therapy is a great thing!

Simplicity 8454, lovely pattern but I had to really squeeze it out, due to raiding my “to make” fabric stash.   As a result the neck binding is not on the bias, still I can live with it or grow my hair to cover up!

 

McCall’s 7357

It has been an age since I have last been able to get down to some proper dressmaking, my first true craft love.  Below is the post I did for Pattern Review,

click here    McCall’s 7357

if you would like to see more!

 

 

 

Pattern Description: Loose fitting pullover tops have neckband, self lined yokes, applied tab, side front and side back seams, three piece sleeves shaped hemline and narrow hem

Pattern Sizing: 6-22  I cut size 12 UK

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes I made view C

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, but there was a lot of hand sewing and the neck band was awkward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The seaming gives the top a nice flowing shape and the sleeves hang well. I also like the lined yoke, it makes the top neat and tidy inside.

Fabric Used: A slippery synthetic I bought a few years ago now, and I cannot remember what it was. But it freyed quite badly so overlocking before I fiddled with the neckline was a must.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I didn’t alter the pattern, except to reduce the front opening by 3 inches. I did not see the point in a bigger neck opening, and I didn’t embellish the front as suggested. Neither did I sew the neck band as directed. As my fabric was so temperamental I fused the interfacing onto the fabric before I cut it out, thus I was able to stop it stretching out of shape
I interfaced both the band and the band lining to keep the whole thing stable, on my second attempt. I used a very sheer fusible interfacing, but it was enough to make the fabric easy to cut so it lay along the neck edge cleanly. I over locked the edge of the neck band lining to keep down the bulk, and stitched in the ditch on the machine. I hate hand stitching, though I did hand stitch the sleeve finishes.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I will keep the pattern and sew another in the future, probably in a pretty thin cotton. I recommend it too, but plan your sewing before you start.

Conclusion: A pattern that you can adapt, dress up or down.

Burda 6633

Its been an age since I have got around to any selfish sewing, but I did make this little number this week, and I am quite pleased with the result.  I bought the lovely fabric a couple of months ago with nothing in mind really, but then saw this tunic pattern which I thought would suit. My local shop was “Backstitch” just outside Cambridge UK .                See website

I haven’t used Burda patterns very often and my first boo boo was to not cut the front out on the fold. School girl error I know!  Am used to arrows and there are none on Burda!  Luckily I had enough fabric as I always over estimate how much I need. From then on plain sailing, although the neck and front bands are sewn in a very odd way, but it worked.

I do recommend you use light and floaty fabric for this, as otherwise it would be sticky outy and look like maternity!

This is a new pattern from Burda,  Burda 6633  here in UK anyhow, and is average sewing skill rating.  There is a longer version with a collar included too, which I may try.  I like the shaped hem and sleeve length especially, though I do have to wear a t shirt underneath as it does gape at the front, ooh er.   Should have tried it on, not just relied on Vera my dress form!